ENQUIRE

HISTORY OF HARLEQUINS

The Club was established in 1866 and was originally called Hampstead Football Club (HFC). Two years later, we were re-named Harlequin FC and the team has been going from strength-to-strength ever since.

Recognised for our famous quartered shirt, we rank among the five oldest clubs in England and look back at our history very fondly.

Just a few of our proudest moments include:

  • Holding the record for providing the most players from one club in a Rugby World Cup final
  • Being three times winners of the Anglo-Welsh Cup, in its various incarnations, in 1988, 1991 and 2013
  • Being three times winners of the European Rugby Challenge Cup- in 2001, 2004 and 2011- more than any other team to have competed in the competition. Winning the Aviva Premiership in 2012, the first time the Club has won the league.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE STOOP

In 1963, we acquired what was then an athletics ground just over the road from the RFU’s ground in Twickenham. This became our training pitch and eventually, our home ground. Since then, a lot of work has been done to upgrade the stadium to a 14,800 capacity venue.

Known as The Stoop Memorial Ground up until its renaming in 2005 to the Twickenham Stoop, the stadium is named after former England International Adrian Stoop; a former Harlequins player who later became president of the Club.



MAKE AN ENQUIRY